Information for patients and families on the new hallucination drug for Parkinson's disease (NuPlazid)Read More
Parkinsonsecrets.com and Parkinsonbreakthrough.com blogs are the Official Website for the books: Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life and 10 Breakthrough Therapies for Parkinson's Disease.
Dr. Okun is the co-founder of the University of Florida Center for Movement Disorders and Neurorestoration, the National Medical Director for the National Parkinson Foundation, as well as the author of several books including Ask the Expert about Parkinson's Disease, Lessons from the Bedside, 10 Breakthrough Therapies for Parkinson's Disease and Parkinson's Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier life due out in 2013. His secrets book was translated into 20 languages so that it can be made available to Parkinson's disease sufferers around the world. Dr. Okun has been recently been honored at the White House as a Champion of Change for Parkinson's Disease. Dr. Okun has been published in journals such as the New England Journal of Medicine and people travel from around the world to seek his opinion on best treatment approaches for this disease.
Breakthrough ideas and therapies in Parkinson’s disease stretch far beyond a single drug or stem cell. There is, in fact, a broader and more exciting picture and portfolio of breakthroughs spanning drug, cell, vaccine, device, genetics, care, and behavior. Patients and families with personal investments in Parkinson’s disease should be informed and updated about all of the potential breakthrough therapies.
“Every challenge you encounter in life is a fork in the road. You have the choice to choose which way to go: backward, forward, breakdown or breakthrough.”
― Ifeanyi Enoch Onuoha
There are several potential breakthroughs that should be on every patient and family member’s radar screen. Here is a TOP TEN LIST OF PARKINSON'S THERAPIES for patients and families watching in 2015-2016 http://parkinsonbreakthrough.com:
· Disease Modifying Drugs and Biomarkers- these are drugs that may slow Parkinson’s disease progression; also imaging and fluid (e.g. blood, spinal fluid) markers that can track the effects of Parkinson’s drugs are needed and under development
· Coffee, Tea, Exercise, Interdisciplinary Teams and Caregivers- there is mounting evidence that these approaches have symptomatic and perhaps even other benefits in Parkinson’s disease
· Extended Release/Novel Delivery Systems for Parkinson’s Disease Drug and When to Start Drug Therapy- Parkinson’s disease desperately needs longer acting drugs to reduce the “number of pills” burden
· Marijuana and Synthetic Cannabinoids- surprising to some experts has been the revelation that there are cannabinoid receptors in the brain and tickling them may be beneficial to some Parkinson’s disease symptoms
· New Drugs for Hallucinations, Sleep, Constipation and Dizziness- these problems are vexing for patients and caregivers, but several new drugs are poised to make a difference
· Therapies While Hospitalized and Avoiding Hospitalization- we now know that the hospitalization risk is very high in Parkinson’s disease, and that hospitals can be dangerous places for patients; the focus needs to shift toward avoiding hospitalizations
· Advancing Deep Brain Stimulation Technology, Earlier Intervention and Dopamine Pumps- the technology has been refining our approach to the symptomatic management of Parkinson’s disease and new therapies are now reaching the bedside
· Stem Cells and Stem Cell Tourism- there has been a shift away from the idea that stem cell transplants will cure Parkinson’s disease, however stem cells are proving powerful in drug screening
· Prions, Spreading Proteins, Vaccines and Growth Factors- several novel approaches are in trial, and a Parkinson’s vaccine may be on the horizon
· The Drug Development Pipeline- understanding the drug development pipeline will help patients and families to gain access to the newest Parkinson’s disease therapies
Check out the new book 10 Breakthrough Therapies in Parkinson's Disease at www.amazon.com